Friday, July 9, 2010

thoughts from my time with the Lord today...

"What union can there be between God’s temple and idols? For we are the temple of the living God." 2 Corinthians 6:16

I am the temple of the living God. Christ dwells in me. He resides in me.

I would be appalled if I walked in the Temple of God and found idols there and even more if there were people there worshiping those idols in His temple. But that's what i do every day of my life. I build up idols in my life (God's temple) and I worship them!!! Right alongside my worship of the living God! If I could visually see that I would be disgusted with myself. I would call myself a hypocrite.

But it's not visual. I'm not a beautiful building that you can walk into and see worthless idols invading God's Holy place. Mine are hidden, which may even be worse, because then I can walk around and act like they're not there. But God knows. He knows that my heart is divided between Him and all these other worthless things. What a shame. I am a TEMPLE of the Most Holy God and I am dishonoring him by worshiping other things in HIS dwelling place. How selfish I am.

I wish I could be like the "good" kings in the Old Testament who demanded that all the idols be removed from their cities, but I can't visually look into myself and see if they're gone. I have to allow the Word of God to be a light into my life to make me aware of the places I'm still worshiping idols. I have to allow His Spirit to move in me so that in HIS strength and power I can remove those idols from His Holy presence. What a discredit to the name of God. Telling Him that He is not enough. Telling Him that He isn't satisfying my soul. When the truth is, He is more than enough if I'd go to Him and only Him. He's more than enough to satisfy every longing of my heart, every need, every desire.

I am a temple of the living God!! If only I'd listen to God's demand to remove the idols in my life, then God would have room to fill me through and through. He wouldn't be stifled by the box I've put Him in. If I'd remove the idols, I can only imagine how the presence of God would seep through the temple doors of my life. What a beautiful thing that would be. :)

Let God's presence fill His Temple today. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment