Wednesday, August 18, 2010

week of new things

This past Sunday we tried out church #4. One of our friends from Lubbock knew about this church here, so we looked it up and read about and were really excited to check it out. We've continued to pray that God would give us an open mind as we are seeking out a church home. Church #4 was different that what we expected. The worship was good and the message was good but the head pastor was preaching at a different church so an associate pastor spoke. When we left I think we both knew that it wasn't the place for us. I think we are going to try out church #3 again. :)

Yesterday, our friends Caryn and JR invited us to take a day trip with them to Whistler, BC. It's about 2 hours north of Surrey. It's actually the town that where the Winter Olympics were hosted. It's a really scenic town with lots of walking, biking, and hiking trails. We ended up going to this area called "Lost Lake". It was so pretty. We walked through this wooded area and then out pops this lake with lots of grassy area and all these people swimming and laying out. When we headed to Whistler, we didn't know exactly what we were going to do when we got there, so we didn't have bathing suites or towels or anything. Little Alozie (their son) wanted to get in the water, so he hopped in and started playing around. JR had shorts on so he got in a little ways to play with Alozie. Richard doesn't like lakes and wouldn't even walk around in the water with his shorts on. JR kept telling Richard that he could tackle Richard into the water, so of course boys being boys, they started wrestling around and they both ended up in the lake fully clothed! I wish I would have gotten a picture of that but I didn't have my camera so I don't have any pictures of Whistler, either. The drive home was rough, though. The first hour is so full of twists and turns that I felt like I was on a roller coaster. (it doesn't help that JR speeds and is a little bit of an obnoxious driver....haha!)

For the past couple of weeks I've been wanting to go check out this coffee shop just down the block from us, so today was the day. I packed up my computer, my bible and journal, and my book I've been reading and walked to the coffee shop. It is so cute. One area of the coffee shop has a cushioned bench with pillows lining one wall with a few tables in front of the bench. So I set up shop in the corner on this little bench and hung out there for a few hours. I think this may become a new little hang out spot for me.

After Richard finished working out today, we headed to Blaine, WA to fill up our gas tank and get some groceries. There was quite a bit of traffic today to cross the border, so we waited in line almost an hour before we actually crossed the border. But we made it. It's almost $30 cheaper to fill up our gas tank in Blaine than it is in Surrey and the gas station in Blaine is only about 10 miles from our house. We stocked up on groceries and the amount we spent in Blaine bought us a lot more than that amount does here in Surrey. So it was a successful trip.

Good news! Yesterday I spoke with a customer service rep at ATT and we now have a phone plan where we can call the states and within Canada without roaming fees. And anyone from the states or in Canada can call us! I was a little frustrated that no one told me about this plan when I asked multiple times before I left Texas, b/c we could have avoided some serious roaming fees. But I am very grateful that we have it now and the customer rep I spoke to is making a case to dispute the roaming fees we were charged, since their company failed to tell us about this plan in the first place. But all is well...so feel free to call us! :)

Random: Last night I had a dream that I won $109,000 on Wheel of Fortune. HAHA! I should try to make that dream become a reality! Wheel of Fortune, here I come! :)

Pray for Richard this next week. The head coach told Richard that this next week is his opportunity to fight for his place on the team. Pray that he has strength and confidence and that the Lord would protect him from injury. And pray that the coaches would show him favor! We are hopeful! :)

And I'm out!

much love :)

1 comment:

  1. I love reading about your life in Canada Lori! We miss you here!

    ReplyDelete